The North Cass Community Union is the proud sponsor of Detroit’s Dally in the Alleytm street fair. Proceeds from the Dally™ events are used to support North Cass projects which improve the quality of life for people who live and work here. In the past, Dally™ proceeds have:
- Provided funding and volunteers to the Fourth Street Farm
- Sponsored the Burton Theater’s Detroit International Film Festival
- Funded environmental litigation against the Detroit Trash Incinerator
- Provided music scholarships for neighborhood children
- Supported neighborhood soup kitchens
- Covered medical expenses for locked-out newspaper employees who had insurance benefits cut off
- Maintained the garden park at 4753 2nd Avenue
- Paid to have snow plowed from alleys in the winter and trash picked up from streets in the summer
All our files are open to the public.
NCCU ByLaws, Updated August 2011
Aaron Brown, email@example.com
Andy Durkacs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryan Gallagher, email@example.com
Kandi Gantt, firstname.lastname@example.org
Karana Hales-Haywood, email@example.com
Nicole Helegda, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bette Huster, email@example.com
Matt Klipper, firstname.lastname@example.org
Janelle Schaeffer, email@example.com
Allen Schaerges, firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve St. Germain, email@example.com
Tyler Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Adriel Thornton, email@example.com
Sean Tilson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andy Wahl, email@example.com
Patience Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
North Cass Community Union History
The North Cass Community Union (NCCU) is a non-profit organization that began as a neighborhood effort to prevent the “urban removal” of the gracious, historic buildings on the north side of Forest between Second and Third by the City of Detroit in 1976. The project gained support when it was discovered that Horace and Anna Dodge resided at 642 W. Forest from 1904 to 1908, with Horace building a garage workshop for himself in 1905. The Dodge brothers, John and Horace, rolled out their first Dodge automobile in 1906, and it was likely fabricated at this location.
The wonderfully designed garage was a source of neighborhood pride until it was demolished by brick scavengers in 1989. The bricks were saved, however, and detailed architectural plans were drawn from photographs which will allow for the accurate reconstruction of the building. The NCCU had plans to construct an urban garden park and restore the Dodge carriage house on vacant land at Second and Hancock, less than 100 feet from its original location. The Detroit City Council voted against selling the land to the NCCU in March 2002, and the land has since been sold to Terry Fadina who plans to privatize the land and build a fenced-in parking lot within the area where Dally’s Kids Fair used to be.
Proceeds from the Dally in the Alley benefit the NCCU. The organization has used the Dally proceeds to fund the environmental lawsuit against the City of Detroit trash incinerator, provide roaming security during the nighttime hours, and grant scholarships to enable neighborhood children to attend the Art Center Music School. The NCCU has donated Michigan-themed books or books authored by local residents to the Detroit Public Library. Additionally, the NCCU will donate a portion of the 2005 art auction proceeds to the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History.